Your Guide to Pest Control and Pet Safety
When pests invade your home, you need to make sure to remove them as quickly as possible. Otherwise, the problem can spread rapidly, causing various issues such as destroyed property, food, and health-related issues. So, it’s imperative to deploy multiple pest control solutions immediately, such as traps, poison sprays, and more.
But, what if you have pets?
Pet owners have to consider the consequences of some pest control options. After all, if a dog eats rat poison, it will get sick. So, we want to look at how to approach pest control solutions when you have pets in the house. Here’s what you need to know.
- Are Pest Control Treatments Poisonous to Pets?
- Pet-Friendly Pest Control Options
- Tips to Keep Pets Safe From Pest Control
- How long after a pest treatment is it safe for pets to be outside or in the home?
- What are the signs that your pet has been poisoned?
- What should I do if I think my pet has been poisoned?
Are Pest Control Treatments Poisonous to Pets?
As a rule, pest control treatments are not designed to harm animals like cats and dogs, so they’re mostly safe. That said, some products are more poisonous than others. Also, certain items can emit toxic odors and fumes, which may affect your pet if they inhale those fumes directly.
Overall, while trace amounts of pesticides and other treatments shouldn’t affect your pet much, you need to be careful to limit your pet’s exposure to these chemicals. In some cases, exposure can lead to sickness or allergic reactions. In severe instances, too much poison can kill your pet.
The factors that can influence how much pest control products can harm your pets include:
- Location: Spraying pesticides in high-traffic areas, like in a kitchen or living room, can increase your pet’s exposure.
- Concentration: The amount and concentration of the pesticide are other considerations. Following the instructions and using the recommended amount, or better yet, hiring a professional, are ways to make sure you use a safe amount of pest treatment.
- DIY vs. Professional: If you’re spraying chemicals or laying traps, you may not know the best options to avoid potential pet poisonings. Professional pest control companies know exactly how to prevent any disastrous side effects.
Pet-Friendly Pest Control Options
Thankfully, pest control product manufacturers are considering pets much more these days. While chemicals and treatments may have been more harmful in the past, they’re much safer today.
If you want to limit your pet’s exposure further, you can opt for green pest control solutions. At Carolina Pest, we offer environmentally-friendly products that remove pests while being safer for your pets and the ecosystem.
But, what makes these treatments so pet and environmentally friendly? We don’t use harsh chemicals or synthetic ingredients. Instead, we focus on as many all-natural components as possible. This way, even if your pet gets exposed to the treatment, it won’t get sick.
The other way that a pest control product can be “pet-friendly” is if it has an unpleasant taste or odor. Dogs and cats have much better senses than most household pests, so adding a foul smell can prevent your pets from sniffing or eating the product.
Tips to Keep Pets Safe From Pest Control
The most dangerous time for your pets is when you’re spraying or setting pest control products. Here are some ways to keep your lovable animals safe during (and after) this process.
- Notify Your Pest Control Technician: Professional exterminators will know which products are the most dangerous for pets. They can also tell you how long it will take before surfaces or areas are safe for pets again after a treatment application. Finally, the technician can give you any additional advice to prevent any potential illnesses or disasters.
- Remove the Pets From the Home: This tip is much easier for dogs and cats. If you have caged animals like birds or reptiles, it’s not easy to take them out of the house. In those cases, you need to ask your pest control provider for advice. In some cases, all you have to do is cover the cage until the treatment dries. In other instances, you might have to limit where the technician can spray treatments.
- Put Away Pet Items: Chemicals and sprays can contaminate your dog or cat’s food and water bowls, so it’s best to put them away before a treatment. You may also need to remove litter boxes and chew toys. Be sure to pack these items up before starting any treatment. Usually, you just have to put everything in sealed plastic bags.
How long after a pest treatment is it safe for pets to be outside or in the home?
The time frame depends on the type of treatment, and how much of it was used. On average, it can take up to 30 minutes to an hour for outdoor treatments to dry. Inside, it can take up to two or three hours. Be sure to talk to your pest control technician about specific times and other factors to consider.
What are the signs that your pet has been poisoned?
Even if you’re extra careful, some pest control products can harm your pets. Here are some common poisoning warning signs.
- Convulsions or Shaking
- Vomiting and Diarrhea
- Agitation and Delirium
- Drooling or Foaming at the Mouth
- Wheezing and Trouble Breathing
What should I do if I think my pet has been poisoned?
If you think your pet has been poisoned, you need to immediately take it to the hospital or vet clinic. You should also contact your pest control provider to see which chemicals they used during treatment. It’s crucial to know what poisoned your pet so that the vet knows how to counteract its effects. Otherwise, it’s much harder to provide adequate treatment.
Contact Carolina Pest Today
When it comes to exterminating pests and keeping your pets safe, Carolina Pest is one of the best options. We offer both green and traditional pest control solutions. Call us today, and we’ll come up with a customized solution plan for your home.